Topics Map > Software
Topics Map > How Do I...
Topics Map > General Information
Getting Started with myVITA
This is the quick start guide for myVITA
What is myVITA?
MyVITA is the new web-based system to replace FAS. This solution will provide an online place for faculty members to document achievements. You can input information about your courses, research, grants, service, published works, and other work. MyVITA collects and archives grant-funded research, scholarly impact, and artistic achievements as well as committee work, service work and collaborations – both on and off campus.
Along with being a repository, myVITA will generate custom curriculum vitae (CV), reports, and biosketches for individual faculty use.
MyVITA replaces FAS. FAS was a home-grown application with limited functionality. As a collective, the University has outgrown it. With myVITA, you will have a better experience with ease of use, consistent reporting, and additional categories for discipline-specific achievements.
MyVITA provides a greater range of benefits by allowing you to generate a CV that can be used for promotions, tenure reviews, and academic program reviews, customized for individual faculty needs. The new system will help make faculty contributions more visible to the internal campus and the off-campus community.
What about the information in FAS?
All FAS information has been moved to allow a user-friendly transition into myVITA. The project team and the developers have worked to allow for a behind-the-scenes move of nearly 900,000 rows of data into the new system. Faculty will find their FAS information is already loaded into the categories into sections of myVITA.
Current information in myVITA.
Currently, with no interaction from you, myVITA already has your biographical and demographic information – such as your office address and current position.
Navigation and Recommended Browsers
MyVITA authenticates with your University user name and password. The recommended browsers for myVITA are Firefox and Chrome.
CAUTION: When navigating in myVITA, please do not use the back, forward or refresh browser buttons, as this could cause errors and may result in a loss of data. Use the navigation within myVITA to ensure smooth transitions between pages.
Clicking this button will take you to the myVITA login screen:
The Dashboard is the first page you’ll see when you access myVITA. Here, you can find links to manage data and activities, check evaluations, and create reports and CVs.
Dashboard navigation includes the following sections:
- To Do: Contains messages about Action Items. During the initial review period, you will see the Complete Activity Input Form message.
- Manage Your Data: Where you can find links to your Profile and Activities, review Evaluations, and generate Vitas and Biosketches.
- Search Faculty: Search for other faculty members by interests, department or keywords.
- Announcements: Updates and news about the system.
Sidebar navigation offers easy and quick navigation between the following reporting sections:
- Profile: Your biographical information is imported from People Soft Human Resources. You can add additional information such as your education, experience, and biography.
- Activities: Enter, view, and edit data about your professional activities.
- Forms & Reports: View, enter, and edit data about your activities for a specific period and generate reports.
- Vitas & Biosketches: Generate annual reviews and custom personal CVs from your data.
Note the additional navigation in the top right corner:
- Quicklinks: User defined bookmarks for frequently used pages.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions. Here, you can submit questions and receive answers from the project team.
- Help: Links to contextual help, including videos and forums.
If you are experiencing issues with logging in, browsers, printing, or some feature of the system is not working properly, contact your campus help desk. If you have questions about entering your activities or information in the system, which category to use for a specific activity, etc., contact UMmyVitaSupportTeam@umsystem.edu for assistance.