Topics Map > How Do I...
Topics Map > Help Desk
Creating a ListServ
The process for creating a Listserv
To create a listserv or google group do the following:
1. Visit myhome.mst.edu and log in with your campus email and password. This redirects you to Google Admin’s User Hub, where Google Applications are managed a bit differently than through Gadmin.
2. From the ‘Your services at mst.edu’ list, click ‘Groups.’
3. Click the red ‘Create Group’ button at the top of the page. This will bring you to a group creation form.
4. Group creation process is as follows.
You will be prompted to fill in the following:
Group name: Typically the same as the email address for the Group
Group email address: Whatever name is specified by the user, provided it does not already exist in the system. Uses dashes (‘-‘) in lieu of spaces and mandatorily given a “-grp” suffix.
Group description: An optional field wherein you can provide elaboration on what/who the group is for
Group’s primary language: Typically English (US), unless you feel like trying something un poco diferente.
Group type: Email list
Basic permissions are broken down as follows:
a. View topics: Managers of the group and All members of the group (Do not apply to All organization members or Public). Owners of the group have mandatory permission.
b. Post: Owners of the Group, Managers of the Group, and additionally All Members of the Group, if faculty will be sending among themselves (Again, we usually do not include All organization members or Public)
c. Join the group: Only invited users, in this case
5. Click the red ‘Create’ button at the top of the page.
6. After creating the group, you should be redirected to the group page, and should see a pop-up dialogue reporting that your group was successfully created. It will prompt you to invite users to join the group, customize the group’s settings, or add a topic. You can follow any of those links, or click ‘Okay’ or ‘X’ to exit the dialogue and view your group.
7. To add/edit group members, click the ‘Manage’ link in the lower right-hand side of the page. Your options will be available in the menu on the left of the member management page. Members can be invited by email or directly added. When adding users, you can set their options on when they’ll receive email from the group. Once a user has been added, their role (owner, manager, member, etc.) can be adjusted from the member management page.
8. Once the desired members are added to the group and permissions are set, anyone with posting permissions can email the mailing list (e.g. email@example.com). There are two ways to send to a email list group: click ‘New Topic’ through the Google groups page and then send the message, or put the group email in the ‘To…’ field in Outlook. The message will appear in the inboxes of any members who are set to receive email (all members by default, but this setting can be modified in the group management page).
9. To add member outside of mst.edu please go to Permissions - Basic Permissions. Click the checkbox by Allow new users not in mst.edu. This should allow anyone outside of the organization that is in the group to be able to participate.