Topics Map > Help Desk
Topics Map > Software > Google
Topics Map > How Do I... > Google
Google drive, usage, and setup
- Available to faculty, staff, and students by activating your Google Apps account
- Allows you to store files on an off-site server (much like your "S" drive on campus)
- Useful for storing important documents that you use often on many different computers, sharing documents with others, and backing-up important documents to protect them in case of hardware failure.
- Includes an unlimited amount of storage.
- Shareable among all Google users (this includes S&T Faculty, Staff and Students)
How do I use Google Drive?
You must activate your Google Apps account before being able to use the Google Drive feature. To activate, go to How to Set Up Your Missouri S&T Student Gmail Account.
Google Drive can operate in two modes: Web mode and Sync mode.
Web mode is an intuitive Web interface. To access Google Drive through Web mode:
- Go to http://drive.google.com
- Log in with your campus credentials (don't forget @mst.edu)
Sync mode requires that a client is installed on the machine. You can install the Drive File Stream application and log in with campus credentials for the Sync mode.
Using Google Drive in Sync mode, the interface is Windows Explorer (aka File Explorer). When you add files and folders to your Google Drive, the background client for Google Drive will sync the data in that folder to Google's servers without any further interaction.
- Tutorial: Install Google Drive on your computer
- Google Drive FAQ - Sharing files to collaborate
- Google Drive FAQ - Organizing and searching files
- Google Drive FAQ - Restore Deleted Files
- Google Drive FAQ - Deleting files
- Google Drive FAQ - Update Drive Files
- Google Drive FAQ - Viewing and updating files.
- Google Drive FAQ - Accessing your files while offline
- Google Drive FAQ - Sync and Access
- Google Drive FAQ - Uploading to a phone or tablet
- Google Drive FAQ - File Stream: move files
- Google Drive FAQ - Google Stream Install instructions
- Google Drive FAQ - Upload and Store