Topics Map > Help Desk
Topics Map > Software > Google
Topics Map > How Do I... > Google
Information about Google Groups
Create Google Group
- From the main Google Apps (you can get there by clicking on menu) page, click on the icon
- Click the Create Group button at the top
- Specify the Name of your group. The new Group email will have -grp appended. Example:
- Group Description: Short basic description of the group seen by members, and others allowed access to your group page.
- Permissions level: Allows you to make your list as open or as restricted as you would like. The list goes by Owners, Managers, All members of the group, All organization members, and Anyone on the web as to who can view and post topics.).
- Click Create at the top when you are finished.
Invite or add members to your group
- With Google Groups, you have two options for adding members:
- Invite members by email – enter email addresses Type a message explaining your group to those receiving the invitation.
- After selecting your Google Group, go to Manage
- Click on Invite Members to send out a invitation to certain members
- Fill out the form and add all emails you'd like to add to the group followed by commas.
- Click Send Invites
- Directly add members – this allows you to enter members without waiting for them to accept the invitation. Be sure to include a welcome message describing your group.
- This process is exactly the same as Invite Members shown above except you click on Direct add members.
- Choose option for group email:
- No Email – Members will have to log into Google Groups to read message and participate in the group.
- Send an email for each message and update – Members will receive an email every time a message or update is posted to the group
- One Summary email a day – Members will get one email at the end of the day summarizing what messages were sent or posted to the group during that day.
- One email with all activity in it- members will get one email at the end of the day with a full copy of all messages and updates from that day in the single email.
Accept Google Group Invitation
- Log in to myhome.mst.edu.
- Click Groups from top menu
- Click Accept Invitation
- Set a nickname for the group and decide how often you want to receive messages from this group.
- Click Accept Invitation, and you will be directed to the Group’s individual web location.
Send to Email List Group
Once the desired members are added to the group and permissions are set, anyone with posting permissions can email the mailing list (e.g. email@example.com). There are two ways to send to a email list group: click ‘New Topic’ through the Google groups page and then send the message, or put the group email in the ‘To…’ field in Outlook. The message will appear in the inboxes of any members who are set to receive email (all members by default, but this setting can be modified in the group management page).